Python is one of the fastest-growing and most popular programming languages in the world. It has gained popularity in a short span of time for being beginner-friendly and its wide scope of applications.
This article discusses some major techniques on how to start learning Python for free.
Why should you learn Python as a Programming Language?
Python has certainly become the go-to programming language for people from different disciplines including software engineers, mathematicians to data analysts. Here is a list of reasons why you should learn Python.
- Python is an easy-to-use and powerful high-level programming language.
- It is versatile, has a large community, and hence makes a great choice for both beginner and expert-level programmers.
- The syntax can be understood easily unlike Java or C and is great for those starting their journey in programming.
- It requires minimal setup and is easy to implement.
- It has a large set of tools and libraries. Python can be applied in various domains such as Artificial Intelligence, Data Analysis, and Visualization, Automation, Website Development, Mobile App Development, Desktop App Development, Game Development, etc.
Steps to Start Learning Python for Free
1. Find study material
The first step to kickstart your journey in learning anything is to search for study materials/tutorials that are available online. This step might require some research so as to find the materials that fit your study habits and needs.
If you are a beginner in programming, Python code is fairly easy to understand. However, you might require a detailed course material that can teach all the necessary concepts required. If you are already familiar with programming in other languages (such as C, C++, Java, etc.), then a crash course like the one below, might help in grasping the basic concepts of Python.
Some of the common study materials that you can find for free on the internet are:
- Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs): Beginner-friendly online courses are usually free of cost and are available on various platforms. Here’s a course we’ve created for you for free: Go to Free Python Course.
- YouTube: YouTube is a great platform to start learning Python for free. Most courses have been structured as a playlist and provide a step-by-step tutorial. This tutorial by Sentdex is a good place to start for beginners.
- Books: Books are a great medium to start learning skills. There are a lot of books that can be bought. However, you can as well find plenty of books on the internet that are readily available to download. You can find books for learning Python here.
Collaborating with a study partner or surrounding yourself with others who are learning highly aids the learning process. You can also be a part of a learning community or forums both online and offline. This is extremely important in order to keep yourself on track and have a place to ask your doubts.
There are a lot of online communities that organize weekly or monthly meetups where you can learn and collaborate. Moreover, online webinars and meetups are also beneficial to ask doubts and learn.
“Practice makes perfect.” This phrase strongly applies to the field of programming. Only learning is never enough, and it is important to know how and when to implement what we have learned. Practicing allows you to grasp concepts quickly and improve logical thinking in various situations.
HackerRank is a great platform for exercise your coding skills with daily challenges. It lets you choose your programming language and ranks you based on the number of challenges solved.
4. Build Projects
Implementing the concepts learned allows you to discover a whole range of things you can do with Python. You can start with a simple project that takes a day or a half to start with. It can help improve your skills further and make the learning process more indulging as well as exciting.
In addition to it, you can take part in coding competitions and hackathons to build projects with others which will help you learn about teamwork as well as improve your conceptual knowledge.
Go to this link for some of the projects that you can start with, along with their solutions.
5. Further learning
After you start doing projects in Python, you will certainly find yourself inclined to a certain kind of project that you are interested in. Python can be used in making websites, developing video games, mobile apps, AI-based projects, or simply writing automation codes.
It is good to have a general knowledge of the programming language and its applications. However, it is extremely important to find your niche and start improving your skills in the domain that you want to work in. This step will require you to reiterate all the steps from 1 to 4, i.e. Find study materials, Collaborate, Practice, and Build projects for the domain that you choose.
Some of the major applications of Python are:
– Web Development
– Mobile App Development
– Desktop App Development
– Machine Learning (AI)
– Data Science
– Game Development
There is no better time than now to start learning Python. Kickstart your journey and let us know how helpful did you find this article.
Do you want to learn Python, Data Science, and Machine Learning while getting certified? Here are some best selling Datacamp courses that we recommend you enroll in:
- Introduction to Python (Free Course) - 1,000,000+ students already enrolled!
- Introduction to Data Science in Python- 400,000+ students already enrolled!
- Introduction to TensorFlow for Deep Learning with Python - 90,000+ students already enrolled!
- Data Science and Machine Learning Bootcamp with R - 70,000+ students already enrolled!